Thursday 3 February 2022

The Magical Madrigals - Chapter 1: Alma

 

Whoops my finger slipped!

Have I started another challenge when I am very busy exploring Korea and working as a teacher? Yes, I have. Is this a bad idea? Yeah, probably. Do I care? No, not really.

So, I've been obsessed with Encanto since I watched it on New Year's Day. I haven't been obsessed with a Disney movie this much since Big Hero 6 and by the time it was released on DVD (about 3 months), I was not interested any more so let's hope I get this challenge finished before my interest timer runs out on Encanto

The challenge is from here by SimsWrapped on Tumblr.

Instead of putting the rules at the start, I think I will place them at the end so that they are a surprise (or maybe not if you've clicked the link before reading...)

Anyway, without further ado, let's go!

To start out challenge we need two lovebirds with their hearts set on marriage.

I decided to stick with the names from the movie for each generation (because I’m unoriginal like that) and so here is Alma Madrigal and her sweetheart, Dorian Samuels- Wait. That’s not movie accurate!

That’s because Dorian is a game generated sim and I wanted to include some interesting genetics (I mean look at his face, isn’t he precious?).

Alma's stats are:
Successful Lineage
*Perfectionist
*Neat
*Proper

And Dorian:
Soulmate
*Outgoing
*Good
*Erratic

Edit: Omg I totally forgot! I downloaded Dorian from here. He's made by creamlattedream. They make some very cute, cartoony sims so if you want more male sims, here you go!

To start the challenge off right, Dorian and Alma have to exchange vows.

Lowkey obsessed with how Alma looks.

Dorian takes on the Madrigal name and thus we begin the challenge!

I’ve decided to go with a portrait of each heir for this challenge instead of selfies like in my name game because I figured it would fit better with the theme of the challenge.

Here is Dorian painting Alma’s portait!

Alma: “This summer heat is too much!”

This is the first of many sicknesses that befall Alma and Dorian in the span of two days, but thankfully this is the only time I document it.

Alma seems to really enjoy paintings and spends most of the cool summer evenings painting near the river where she and Dorian got married.

Meanwhile Dorian develops a love for cooking. Hm. This isn’t foreshadowing for anything

Whilst Dorian works, Alma contributes to the household funds by painting all day. She manages to rack up a few thousand simoleons!

And the house is given a full makeover! Now it’s looking like a house!

And here is Alma’s portait!

Alma: “Heh, surprise?”

After a few days of working (and saving), Dorian and Alma try for a baby and it’s a success!

Alma: “Honey, don’t be too shocked but – I’m pregnant!”

Dorian: “Shocked?! I’m delighted!”

The pregnancy is really rough on poor Alma.

But Dorian is there to make sure she is loved and sweeps those hormonal intrusive thoughts away.

She really goes through some major mood swings. I love MCCC so much.

Dorian: “Don’t worry, honey. After this baby is born we can take a little rest and then work on baby number two – if you want, of course.”

Alma: “Of course I want to! I have the Successful Lineage aspiration but there’s just one problem…”

Alma: “I’m having triplets.”

Dorian: “TR-TRIPLETS!?”

Dorian: “Heh, it’s… okay. It’s okay. We can do this. We can do this!”

Alma: “Do you want to feel your children to calm your nerves?”

Dorian: “Will it calm my… Oh yes… Yes, it will!”

Alma: “Told you so.”

Alma’s emotions have been jumping around since she told Dorian that she’s expecting triplets so I sent her to a spa to have a relaxing massage (I totally went on a buying spree and installed Spa Day and Realm of Magic).

She seemed apprehensive at first but enjoyed it by the end.

My simself makes an unexpected appearance – as the mailwoman.

Me: “Oh sure, your legacy sims get the luxury treatment but you shoved me in an apartment in San Myshuno and forgot about me in another save!”

I’m glad she remembers me.

Alma: “Not long left.”

That night:

Dorian: “Ah! What do you need? Blankets? Hot water?!”

Alma: “… Honey, I need you to calm down.”

And here we have our triplets!

Julieta, our heiress, Valentina, and Marco!

(I’m only using the movie names for the heirs and heiresses).

Dorian immediately slips into the role of fatherhood and feeds his only son, Marco.

Which made this hurt so much more.

Unfortunately, because Alma’s beloved dies in the movie, our Alma’s beloved has to die in the game. He laughed himself to death reading a book.

Alma is, understandably, inconsolable.

Here is Dorian’s shrine where he will reside and watch over his family as every generation comes and goes. His urn will be the only one to remain on the lot.

Alma: “It’s okay, Marco, it’s okay. Mama’s here. She’ll protect you.”

The next day the babies age up into toddlers and just like in the movie, the only male triplet takes after his deceased father. I didn’t write this.

They’re all dealing with the sudden loss of their father.

Valentina, in the orange, is a little more upset than her sister, Julieta, who has discovered the joys of distraction through the building blocks.

And Alma makes sure her babies are loved and safe and secure.

Valentina and Julieta copy their mother’s actions and share a loving hug.

After getting angry with play with blocks for too long, Julieta instantly becomes sad again and ends up feeling it the worst as she won’t stop crying. Alma decides to read a short story to Julieta to take her mind off of her papa’s death.

It doesn’t work.

With three babies and minimal funds now her husband is gone, Alma has to make big meals for her whole family to share. Her cooking skill wasn’t as high as Dorian’s but she still produces some edible meals for her children.

And whilst the triplet’s sleep, Alma allows the grief to overwhelm her for the night.

Slowly but surely, Alma begins to feel the hurt and grief melt away and she discovers that it’s because of her precious children.

Marco: “Papa?”

As autumn draws to a close, the family is greeted with a sunsnow storm which I honestly thought was bizarre but I guess stranger things have happened. I don’t play Oasis Springs much so I was honestly surprised by this.

Caring for three babies on her own is hard work but Alma makes sure the toddlers are bathed and fed as often as she can. She misses being able to work on her painting or go for a quick jog but she figures it’ll be worth the sacrifice in the end.

Sorry but the triplets are so cute!

And then one night, the family receives a visitor.

Marco: “Papa?”

Marco: “Papa!”

The ghost cannot speak but Marco doesn’t need to hear his father’s voice to know who he is.

Before the sunrises, Dorian partakes in the few activities he misses in the afterlife- painting and food.

Time flies by and the toddlers grow into children and Alma is finally able to take time for herself once in a while. She soaks in a hot bath and allows her mind to drift.

Alma: “And the ugly frog turns into a handsome prince. The prince and the princess live happily ever after.”

Julieta: “Mama, how did you and Papa meet?”

Alma: “Well… That’s a story for when you’re older.”

Julieta: “I can handle it, Mama.”

Alma: “Well, okay then.”

I meet your Papa at the Festival of Snow. He was goofing around and making snow angels. He didn’t notice me at first… until I giggled.

Alma: “Do you always roll around in the snow in your everyday wear?”

Dorian: “Only when I feel like it. I’m Dorian, by the way.”

Alma: “Alma. Alma Madrigal.”

We partook in making a snowpal together and he never failed to make me laugh.

Dorian: “Why do I feel like we’ve made Mrs Crumplebottom’s long lost sister?”

Alma: “Hehe… She does look like she belongs in Cottage Living.”

We met up often, and spent whole afternoons just talking. He was a good soul, your father. And very outgoing.

Alma: “Is it crazy that I can’t get you out of my head?”

Dorian: “If it’s crazy then we’re crazy together.”

Alma: “Crazy together. I like that.”

And the rest, Julieta, is history.

Julieta, after hearing the story, decides to spend some time at her father’s memorial.

Her sister, Valentina, was keen to see the world from the highest point.

Valentina: “Is that Mr Lothario and Miss Patel… kissing!? UGH!”

She discovers quickly that the world isn’t always ready for her to see.

Alma is happy to finally get back into painting and earn some money for her kids. The funds she and Dorian had raised together had been enough to keep the family alive when they were small but now they were growing and needed new toys and activities and money began to diminish quickly.

The first night of their childhood, Marco is awoken by the sound of gurgling monster under the bed.

Thankfully, Alma has a magic potion filled with lavender oil and water that will keep any monsters away.

The three children work on their aspirations and Alma finds time to help them as best as she can.

Valentina: “Mama is so beautiful here.”

Julieta: “Huh… Food can heal sickness… That’s pretty cool!”

Marco’s aspiration is creative and enjoys spending time alone, it fits well with his Loner trait.

At night, as the triplets sleep or skill, Alma goes out for a quick jog. She doesn’t care about the toll of carrying and caring for triplets on her body but she does miss the feeling of the cool desert air against her skin as she jogs through the neighbourhood.

And then the triplets have their first day at school, leaving Alma alone to jog and paint to her heart’s content.

The triplets attend school for a day before the holidays approach.

Alma: “Kids, it’s Winterfest. You shouldn’t be doing your homework today.”

Valentina: “We have to Mama, we were too tired to do it yesterday.”

Marco: “And we have stupid school tomorrow.”

Time to open gifts!

Marco received the science table which is exactly what Julieta needed to work on her aspiration so she got to work making 3 emotion potions.

Valentina: “This present better be good, Father Winter.”

Booyah! The triplets all complete their aspirations just in time. They will be becoming teenagers in a few days.

Valentina felt the creative urge to make some seasonal crafts despite Winterfest ending a day ago. Her siblings don't seem to mind.

Julieta made a new friend at school, his name is Arron. He decided to pop around for New Year’s Day “just because”.

His face, however, suggests he may have a crush.

To start a new family tradition, the family sing to Dorian’s urn as he was unable to join the family on this joyous occasion.

The next day was the Festival of Youth and Julieta wanted to go collect voidcritters and eat ice cream crepes. She knew exactly who to invite along with her.

Arron: “Why are you so desperate to eat this crepe?”

Julieta: “Because it’s yummy and I like food?”

Julieta devours her strawberry ice cream crepe whilst Arron engages in conversation with a few other neighbourhood kids.

Julieta: “Ugh, Arron! I can’t find a single voidcritter…”

Arron: “Maybe we should split up? I’ll go straight, you go left.”

Julieta: “Omg, Arron you’re a genius!”

Julieta: “Thanks for today, Arron. Sorry we couldn’t find all ten. I really wanted that prize.”

Arron: “It’s okay, maybe next time.”

Julieta: “No… we’ll be teens in a few days, Arron.”

Arron: “Oh… right.”

Julieta: “But the good thing about being teens is making new friends, right?”

Julieta and Arron end the Festival of Youth developing a close bond and becoming the closest of friends.

Alma, feeling sick of jogging around the neighbourhood and painting all day, decides to head to the spa to try a yoga class. By the end, she isn’t very sure if yoga is for her.

Julieta: “Omg, Arron, you look so cool!”

Arron: “And you look… just like yourself, Julieta – perfect.”

Julieta: “Pssh, shut up. Dork.”

And then something amazing happened. The candle beside Dorian’s urn began to glow brighter than before…

Valentina: “Omg, no way! We are magical!”

The triplets all become spellcasters. A gift given to them by their home.

Julieta entered teenhood with a passion for cooking and asks her mother for some tips on gaining the skill.

Alma decides to start easy – a yogurt and fruit parfait for breakfast. Tasty and nutrious.

Alma: “Now that you’re a teen Julieta, it’s time for you to start working towards your heirship. You are aware of your requirements?”

Julieta: “I think they are written around here somewhere…”

After the first day of high school, Marco returns home with an illness.

Julieta: “Dude, food has healing properties, just go eat or drink something.”

Marco: “Nah –teehee-  I can sur- teehee- survive.”

Julieta decides to have a go at cooking lunch on her own. She discovers very quickly that sometimes cooking, even if it’s something simple like grilled cheese, may take practise and time.

Julieta: “Ah, Arron. I’m really stressed about the requirements for my generation. What if I don’t meet my “Dorian”, y’know?”

Arron: “I wish I could help you find your “Dorian”, Julieta, but it might be a journey you take alone. I’m sure there’s a guy out there who will love you and will have the perfect traits for you.”

Julieta: “Hmph.”

The family receive some sad news the next day – Dorian’s spirit is beginning to fade after using his energy to gift his children with magic.

Julieta: “Arron?”

Arron: “Happy Love Day, nerd!”

Julieta: “Hm, you heard about my terrible day right?”

Arron: “No, no… Yeah, sorry, my sister told me.

Julieta: “Ugh, can you come over and just cheer me up please?”

Arron: “I’ll be right there.”

Arron: “Gotta show off the ootd!”

Julieta: “Here. Happy Love Day.”

Arron: “Heh, thanks Julieta. Mm, smells sweet – like you.”

Julieta: “Just don’t let your girlfriend see it or she’ll get jealous.”

Arron: “Girlfriend? I don’t have a girlfriend.”

Alma: “So, you and Arron had a good day yesterday.”

Julieta: “He’s such a good friend. I just wish I could find my “Dorian”, you know?”

Alma: “I don’t think you have to find him anywhere, my dear.”

Julieta: “I don’t like what you’re implying. I don’t like Arron like that and he doesn’t like me like that either.”

Alma: “Okay.”

Valentina: “I can’t wait to age up next week. Julieta will take over the family and marry Arron and-“

Julieta: “I’m not going to marry Arron.”

Valentina: “Julieta. Girl. C’mon. You only ever hang out with him. You gave him a rose on Love Day and he always flirts with you.”

Julieta: “He doesn’t al- Oh my God.”

Valentina: “Bingo.”

The radio breaks just before school and Julieta, who has the highest level of magic as an Acolyte, tries to repair it.

Julieta: “Shoot!”

It doesn’t end well.

Julieta: “Marco, do you want to put the pancakes down first?”

Marco: “Nope, I can multitask!”

Julieta is very quickly developing a love for cooking – just like her father.

Julieta: “I never did ask you, Arron. What are your traits?”

Arron: “Well, I’m clumsy-“

Julieta: “Oh damn.”

Arron: “Something wrong?”

Julieta: “Nope, I put out a fire yesterday but I think you may be starting another in my heart.”

Arron: “God, I love cheesy pick-up lines. How did you know?”

Julieta: “Oh fiddlesticks. Arron, can we sit down and talk?”

Arron: “Sure.”

Arron: “You’re being very touchy-feely. Is something wrong?”

Julieta: “I’m just gonna say it. I like you. A lot. I think I’ve liked you all along but I was scared to admit it because I didn’t want to ruin our friendship and thank God Valentina is perceptive-”

Arron: “Julieta…”

Julieta: “Sorry! Anyway, point is… I’m crushing. Hard. On you.”

Arron: “You know… It’s mutual, right? I’ve liked you for a long time, Julieta.”

Julieta: “… Let’s find somewhere a bit more secluded.”

Julieta: “Put the phone away, you dork.”

Julieta takes the plunge and shares her first kiss with Arron.

The two immediately make their relationship official and with time to spare as Julieta and her siblings are turning into young adults the next day.

Julieta invites round Arron so he can age up with her. She takes a deep breath and blows out her candles, immediately feeling more confident with taking on her future as the next matriarch of the Madrigal family.

*****

So here are the rules for Alma's generation:

*Have the 'Successful Lineage' aspiration ✅
*Have the 'Perfectionist' trait ✅
*Start with a married couple ✅
*Have one set of triplets, then have your spouse die off while the children are still babies ✅
*Have a memorial in your house to honour your late spouse ✅
*Turn your children in to occults, in this case spellcasters ✅

Next chapter will follow Julieta and her family!

No comments:

Post a Comment