Tuesday 8 October 2019

The Literal Booker Legacy - The Spares: Wynne | Part 1: Mistakes


Hello! This is not a typical Booker Legacy chapter BUT it is a focus on our beloved first generation spare, Wynne! We will follow her storyline as she goes through trials and tribulations trying to find the one after Amar broke her heart at university.

She deserves a happy ending.



Wynne had managed to find her dream job in the Athletic department and entered at level four as a Starter. Delighted by her progress, she invited her good friend, Lyndsay Louie, round for a shopping trip.

Wynne: “Lyndsay, what happened to you? You look like you’re about to freeze to death.”

Lyndsay: “It was close, I’ll tell you that. Just don’t ever challenge a townie to a snowball fight, you will lose.”

Wynne: “Duly noted. Let’s go shopping and warm you up.”


Lyndsay: “Thought about where you want to go get some new clothes?”

Wynne: “Well, there’s a new shop that opened down in Belladonna Cove: I N Clothing and Apparel and I was curious to see what styles they had in stock.”

Lyndsay: “Oh, isn’t that the place with the small diner attached?”

Wynne: “Maybe? Let’s go find out.”


Within a few minutes, in Wynne’s sports car, they were at the shop and browsing. Lyndsay had warmed up and returned to her normal colouring.

Lyndsay: “Found anything yet?”


Wynne: “No… not really…”


Wynne: “But, I’m going to try a few clothes on and see what suits me best.”


*whistle* That’s one sharp suit there, Wynne.

Wynne: “Oh, you like this?”

It suits you.

Wynne: “… I’ll keep that in mind but I’m absolutely starving right now.”


Wynne: “This must be the little diner Lyndsay was talking about… I wonder where she’s gone?”

She’s outside playing chess.

Wynne: “She would be…”


Wynne ordered a gyro, a Greek dish of rotisserie-cooked meat stuffed in pita bread with tomatoes, onions, and tzatziki sauce – sounds delicious!

Wynne: “Mmm, this is so good!”

Ugh, you’re making me hungry.


Whilst Wynne enjoys her meal, who else would visit the lot but the evil witch Frances!


Frances: “I smell a Booker here.”

Oh yeesh, don’t tell me the evil witches are out to get my legacy! She’s only a spare, leave her be!


Frances: “I shall - for now, at least. I’ll just dampen her day with a spot of rain, eheheheheh!”


Wynne, what are you buying now?

Wynne: “A surprise. You’ll see later.”

… I don’t like surprises, I hope you know that.


After their shopping excursion, Wynne drove Lyndsay back to her house where they decided to whet their appetites with a bowl of chilli.

Wynne: “You know that gyro was pretty good, but nothing beats homemade cooking.”


Lyndsay: “Say, are you free tonight?”

Wynne: “I am… Why do you ask?”


Lyndsay: “Well, I was just wondering when you were going to get back out there and start dating again. Amar’s not coming back and you must be lonely in this big house.”

Wynne: “That’s literally none of your business, Lyndsay.”

Lyndsay: “I’m worried about you.”


Wynne: “What exactly are you proposing? That we get dressed up and go to a club?”

Lyndsay: “Yes!”

Wynne: “No thanks, I’d rather stay in and watch a movie.”

Lyndsay: “At least try on the new suit you bought, that might change your mind.”

Wynne: “Well…”


Lyndsay: “So? How are you feeling?”

Wynne: “Honestly? Pretty boss. This suit is sexy as hell.”

Lyndsay: “How about you take your hair out of that pony tail too, let it down for once.”


Wynne: “Oh, hell yeah! I’m smokin’ hot! How have I not seen this before?”

Lyndsay: “What do you say? Want to take that new look of your to a club and see who you pull?”

Wynne: “You work well, Lynds. Sure, I’ll go.”


10pm and the club is dead inside. Not a great start to be honest…


Wynne: “It doesn’t sound like it’s bursting with people, Lynds.”

Lyndsay: “The night’s still young. Let’s go get a drink in you and see where the night leads us.”


Lyndsay: “Yikes this place is as dead as a graveyard…”

Wynne: “I’ve never been to a club before!”

There two ends of a spectrum is present here. We have the extrovert and the introvert.


Lyndsay decides to check out the Dance Sphere whilst Wynne takes a seat at the bar and orders a Very Berry Vodka Mix.


Wynne: “So, how am I supposed to do this whole scoping thing? Do I just look around?”

Well, try and look like you want to have some fun.


Wynne: “Like this?”

Oh girl, no. No.


Wynne received her drink and took an immediate sip. The vodka burnt her virgin throat and the tangy sweetness of the mixed berries danced on her tongue. It played with her senses and Wynne quickly became enamoured with the taste of alcohol.


Wynne: “Dang… My sister’s getting married in a couple of days…”

Feeling broody, Wynne?

Wynne: “I want a boyfriend, dammit!”


Well, go out and find one.


Wynne: “Men suck; they’re a waste of time!”

Wynne… Is that a lip ring?

Wynne: “I er…”


Wynne: “He’s cute!”

Lyndsay: “Are you going to sit at the bar all night or are you gonna dance?”


Wynne: “I’ll dance, if you dance with me first.”

Lyndsay: “Are you drunk?”

Just a tad. This is her first drink after all.


As expected, inebriation leads to regretful choices and Wynne decides to take on the Dance Sphere herself.


Lyndsay: “She’s going to die.”

She’ll be fine… I hope.


Wynne: “Oh God, I’m upside down!”


What a face!

Wynne, are you okay?

Wynne: “I want to get off Mr Bones’ Wild Ride!”


After the harrowing experience with the Dance Sphere, Wynne decides to do some old fashioned solo dancing on the dancefloor.

Isabel watches suspiciously.

Isabel: “Hmm, she’s dancing well… she must do this for a living-“

Whoa, now, we don’t make any assumptions like that here! She’s just had a lot of practise.


The cute guy from before, Jace, comes back onto the dancefloor and he and Wynne immediately focus on each other.


Wynne: “You wanna dance?”

Jace: “I’d be crazy to say no to a pretty woman like you!”


She looks so happy!


Jace: “I gotta go baby doll, it’s hitting midnight and my carriage will turn into a pumpkin if I don’t hurry.”

Wynne: “Can I at least get your number? I want to see you again.”

Lyndsay: “I need a shower.”


Wynne: “I know it’s only 1am but I’m exhausted. Can we go home?”

Lyndsay: “You don’t have to lie; you want to go because that guy’s not here anymore.”


Wynne: “Is that a problem?”

Lyndsay: “No! I wanted you to meet someone, didn’t I? Are you alright driving?”

Wynne: “Yeah, I’ll be fine. That Dance Sphere sobered me up good.”

Random Townie: “How dare she just leave when the party just starts?!”

These townies take clubbing VERY seriously Downtown.


Well, this has been successful. Today we’ve met Frances the evil witch and now we’ve seen the good witch, Phoebe!

Phoebe: “Good kitty!”


Lyndsay and Wynne arrive home a few minutes later and the pair say their goodbyes. Lyndsay pulls Wynne in for a tight hug and wishes her luck for the first day at work and Wynne thanks her for the fun night out.


After showering and pulling her hair back into the usual ponytail, Wynne retires to bed, fully exhausted and her feet throbbing from dancing until late.


The next morning, Wynne awakes with no hangover but a hankering for pancakes.

Wynne: “At least I start work tomorrow so I can chill as much as I want to right now.”

Yeah, that’s true. Maybe you should build your skills up?

Wynne: “I’ll think about it.”


Later that day:

Wynne, enjoying her first day off in the week, traipsed into the kitchen upon hearing her phone ring. She half expected to hear her mother’s voice on the other end, or perhaps Lyndsay inviting her on another night out to the club.

However, she hadn’t planned on hearing Jace’s voice on the other line.


Jace: “Hey, babydoll, it’s Jace… from the club. I haven’t been able to get my mind off of you so I was wondering if you were busy today?”

Wynne: “I’m not…”

Jace: “Excellent, meet me at Bernard’s Botanical.”

With that cryptic invitation, Jace hung up.


I advise you not to go. His invitation didn’t exactly give off “you’re safe with me” vibes.

Wynne: “You forget, I’m in the athletic career, I doubt I’d let any man take advantage of me.”

Alright, if you’re sure.


Wynne: “I’ll admit I’m a little surprised to hear from you.”


Jace: “Why do you say that, doll face? I thought I made it clear last night that I was into you.”


Wynne: “My name isn’t doll face, it’s Wynne.”

Jace: “Wynne, that’s a really pretty name. Tell me, Wynne, what was a nice girl like you doing at a place like that?”


Wynne: “My boyfriend broke up with me and my friend was determined that I go out and see if I meet any cute guys.”

Jace: “And did you?”

Wynne: “Well, if I didn’t, I wouldn’t be here, would I?”

Jace: “Good answer, doll face.”


Wynne ordered lime seared prawns whilst Jace indulged in a filet mignon. When their meals arrived, they began to eat in still silence. Awkwardness began to sink around them, without the upbeat atmosphere of the club where they first met they found themselves to be without any kind of common ground.


Jace: “Your boyfriend was nuts to break up with you.”

Wynne: “… Why do you say that?”

Jace: “If I was lucky to have you as my girlfriend, I’d just know I would be nuts to end it with you.”


Wynne: “You don’t really know anything about me.”

Jace: “Maybe not, but I want to know.”


Jace: “So, do you work?”

Wynne: “I do.”

Jace: “Awesome, as what?”


Wynne: “I’m in the athletic career. You?”

Jace: “Nah, I don’t work.”

Wynne, thinking: “You’re eating awfully extravagant to be unemployed…”


After the meal, Wynne decided to visit the swings outside.

Wynne: “I’ve never been on one of these.”


I feel half responsible for that fact.

Wynne: “Yeah, you should feel responsible.”

… Alright…


After Jace had paid for the meal, the two took a walk to central park.

Wynne was immediately taken by the human statue.


Really taken by the human statue.


Wynne: “Don’t your feet hurt?”

Human statue: “Undoubtedly.”

You’re not supposed to talk!

Is anyone here a professional?


Wynne: “Hey, thanks for today. It was nice to hang out with someone other than Lyndsay or my moms.”

Jace: “Well, I’m flattered, pretty lady.”


Wynne: “I’m honestly surprised you don’t have a girlfriend.”

Jace: “I’d say the same to you, to be honest.”


Wynne: “Y’know, I’ve wanted to do this since the moment I saw you at the club.”

Jace: “Yeah?”


Wynne: “Yeah.”


You’re in a public place… You’re in a park!


Jace: “You’re one hell of a good kisser.”

Wynne: “I have so much more to show you then. Want to come back to mine?”


Jace: “I’ll be honest; this is the first time I’ve been to a lady’s house.”

Wynne: “I’m glad I could be your first then.”


I find these two oddly endearing together.





What is that face, Wynne?!


Oh, God.

I can’t watch anymore…


Wynne: “Want to go upstairs? There’s not much room down here.”

Jace: “Lead the way…”


Please don’t do something you’ll regret, Wynne.


Wynne: “Don’t think you’re going home tonight.”

Jace: “Is that an invitation?”


Wynne: “Yes. Stay tonight?”

Jace: “I’d be honoured.”


Oh… Come on.


After her one night stand, Wynne crept out of bed and immediately headed for the kitchen. With shaking fingers, she dialled Lyndsay’s number.

Wynne: “Lynds, I may have just done something so stupid…”


Lyndsay: “Oh, God, I can only imagine what you might’ve done. What time do you finish work tomorrow?”


Wynne: “Five.”

Lyndsay: “Awesome, make some of your delightful salmon and I’ll be over then. We can talk about it then, okay, baby girl?”

Wynne: “Alright, that’s fine…”

I guess you better go say goodbye to your “regret”.


Wynne: “It was so nice to see you again, Jace.”

Jace: “You too. See you around?”

Wynne: “Definitely…”


Jace: “Dang, what a lady, but, I really need to shower.”


Wynne: “I don’t look any different… so, why do I feel so different?”


Wynne: “Why did I do that? What was I thinking? I don’t sleep with people on the first date!”


After a morning of self-assessment, Wynne left for work and returned home with a promotion to brag about. The phone began to ring the moment she walked through the front door. With a heavy sigh, she made a direct beeline.

Wynne: “Hello?”

Lyndsay: “Oh, good, you are home. I’ll be over in five. Get that salmon ready!”


True to her word, Lyndsay was over within a few minutes. Wynne had only just managed to serve up the salmon when she walked through the front door.

Lyndsay: “So, tell me, what’s this something stupid you did last night?”


Wynne: “Less a something, more a someone.”

Lyndsay: “Wynne Booker… Did you have a one night stand!?”

Wynne: “More or less. You remember that guy from the club a couple nights ago?”


Lyndsay: “Vaguely.”

Wynne: “Well… he invited me on a date and things sort of just took a turn for the unanticipated.”


Lyndsay: “How do you feel? Do you like him?”

Wynne: “I like… Um… I like being with him but I don’t know if I like him.”

Lyndsay: “I’m learning so much about you, lady! You’re physically attracted to him, but you don’t think there’s a romantic spark there.”

Wynne: “Yeah, pretty much…”

Lyndsay was going to reiterate further when the doorbell rang. The two women gave each other a weird look before Wynne got up to answer the door.


Wynne: “Jace… what are you doing here?”

Jace: “Well, I couldn’t stop thinking about last night so… I was wondering if we could have a repeat?”

Wynne: “You… Are you serious?”

Jace: “Sorry if I’m overstepping.”

Wynne: *sigh* “Come in.”

Hehe, only human, eh, Wynne?

Wynne: “Shut up.”


Wynne: “Lyndsay, this is Jace.”

Lyndsay: “Oh, this is the man. Nice to meet you.”

Jace: “I didn’t realise you were entertaining already…”

Wynne: “Don’t worry about it.”


Jace: “I’m going to use the bathroom…”

Wynne: “Right… Um… Lyndsay, could you follow me into the dining room, please?”


Wynne: “I don’t need to tell you that Jace and I want some privacy?”


Lyndsay: “Wynne! What have I made you into?”

Wynne: “Oh, shush, I should be allowed to enjoy myself.”

Lyndsay: “I agree.”


Lyndsay: “But what about your feelings earlier?”

Wynne: “I’ll think about those later.”


Lyndsay: “If you need to talk, lemme know. Just, try not to let yourself fall back into your old self.”

Wynne: “I won’t. Jace is just all physical.”

Lyndsay: “I’ve made a true monster.”


Lyndsay had only just left the house when Wynne ran upstairs to the bedroom where Jace waited on the bed. She pounced, the bed squeaking under her full force, and fell into his arms.


In the aftermath, Jace reached out for her hand and Wynne gave it to him with a large smile on her face. Being with Jace felt ten times better than it had with Amar.


Wynne: “Will you be here in the morning?”

Jace: “You know it, baby doll.”


Wynne: “Good, I’m glad.”


The two drifted off, close together but a million miles apart in emotions.


Jace woke her up a few hours later, darkness still pouring in from outside.

Jace: “I gotta go. My roommate’s gonna wonder where I am.”

Wynne: “Alright, I’ll see you later, Jace.”

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment