Tuesday 8 October 2019

The Literal Booker Legacy - The Spares: Wynne | Part 2: Ricky


Welcome back to Wynne’s side story! Previously Lyndsay and Wynne went out clubbing to help Wynne get over Amar. Whilst dancing, Wynne meets a guy named Jace. They hit it off right away and Wynne allows herself to indulge in a little naughtiness for her Fortune standards. However, things aren’t looking so rosy for the couple as Wynne is unsure about her feelings for Jace.




The day after Bronte’s party, Wynne had been relaxing at home, pondering over her relationship with Jace, when the phone began to ring with urgency. With a heavy heart, Wynne hurried over and answered the phone breathlessly.

Lyndsay: “Say, you’re not doing anything tonight, are you?”

Relief washed over her upon hearing her best friend’s voice.

Wynne: “No, I don’t think so. Why do you ask?”


Lyndsay: “No reason, really… Except, I might’ve set you up on a blind date.

Wynne: “Lynds… You’re joking, right?”


Lyndsay: “Not even close. He’s a guy I work with at the station. He lost his wife not too long ago and is looking to get back into dating and I may have mentioned your name.”

Wynne: “What did you do that for?”


Lyndsay: “Because I’m worried about you! The Wynne I know doesn’t sleep around with guys they meet at clubs! You’ll really like him; he’s just your type.”

Wynne: “Right and you know my type exactly, huh?”

Lyndsay: “I know you like brunets with beards, heh. Anyway, I gave him your address and he’s coming over tonight so look sharp!”

Wynne: “Great, that gives me so much time to prepare…”

Lyndsay: “Some advice: cut back on the sarcasm. It ain’t cute. Love ya, miss ya, see ya! Bye!


Wynne: “I guess I better get ready for this damn date. Damn it, Lyndsay, stop trying to hook me up all the time. Maybe I’m fine being single.”

But… You’re not? You keep lamenting about it…

Wynne: “Just let me be grouchy for once, please.”


Wynne: “Right, I hope I look somewhat presentable…”

I like this hair on you a lot, Wynne, you should keep it…


Wynne: “You think so?”

Yeah.


As Wynne contemplated her choice in best friends, a stranger strolled up to her front door. His heart racing in his chest as he climbed the steps up to the lavish looking house. Lyndsay hadn’t mentioned that her best friend also happened to be quite well off.


With a deep and steady breath, he walked up to the front door and waited.


Wynne invited him in with a charming smile.

Ricky: “You must be Wynne. Lyndsay’s told me a lot about you.”

Wynne: “All good things, I hope.”

Ricky: “Yeah, mainly. I’m Ricky Oxley. I happen to live just down the street from you, actually.”


Wynne: “Really? I didn’t know I had any neighbours.”

I may… have put Ricky moved Ricky in to play a part in your romantic plot.


Ricky: “Well, we’ve lived there for some time. I must say, your house is incredible.”

Wynne: “Thank you so much, Ricky. I made some salmon, would you be interested in having some?”

Ricky: “Salmon is actually my favourite food.”

Wynne: “… It’s mine too!”


The moment Wynne had laid eyes on Ricky an influx of emotions hit her all at once. She felt palpitations in her heart, her stomach flipped, and a genuine smile couldn’t help but form on her face.

He was all she had waited for in a man, and he glowed in her eyes.


Wynne: “I owe Lyndsay an apology…”


Wynne: “So, tell me a bit about yourself, Ricky.”

Ricky: “Well, I have a little girl, her name’s Charmain.”


Ricky: “She’s become my whole world since my wife passed away a few months ago.”

Wynne: “What’s she like?”


Ricky: “Well, she’s a child now but when she was a baby she was so inquisitive. She wanted to know so much about the world. The moment she took her first steps, whole new doors opened for her to explore. One of them, coincidentally, was the bathroom.”

Wynne: “Oh no, did she make a mess?”

Ricky: “Only of the toilet. She had a good bathing after that.”


Wynne: “So how about working? I know you work with Lyndsay.”

Ricky: “I’m a detective at the minute but I’m hoping to get a promotion fairly soon.”

Wynne: “So, law enforcement is something you’re passionate about.”

Ricky: “Oh yes, it’s my dream to protect and serve. What about you?”


Wynne: “I’m more of the athletic type.”

Ricky: “Oh, now I remember! I think I’ve seen you on a few posters around the city.”

Wynne: “The one next to I N Clothing? Yeah, that’s me.”


Ricky: “That’s incredible!”

Wynne: “Thank you, but, I think what you do is a lot more incredible. You risk your life every day.”


Ricky: “Well, I feel the need to since my wife passed.”

Wynne: “If you don’t mind me asking, what happened?”


Ricky: “She’d been sick for a long time, and her pregnancy with Charmain had strained her health. She grew weaker and weaker as time went on until one day…”


Ricky: “She just keeled over. I’ll never forget that day.”

Wynne: “Ricky, I’m so sorry…”


Ricky: “It wasn’t your fault, Wynne. It wasn't anyone's fault. It took me a long time to realise that.”

Wynne: “What made you go back into the dating world so soon?”

Ricky: “It’s lonely, just me and Charmain, and I know Clarissa would’ve wanted me to move on.”


Wynne: “I’m sure she’s watching over you, making sure you find someone who is perfect.”

Ricky: “I know she is. She would want Charmain to have the most positive role model.”


Ricky: “This salmon is the best I’ve ever tasted, Wynne.”


Wynne: “Thank you so much, Ricky. It’s my mother’s recipe.”


Ricky: “Say, my little girl is a big sports fan and she’s always asking if I want to play catch but… I’m not the sportiest guy. Could you give me a few tips?”


Wynne: “Sure! Let’s go out front. I can show you a few tricks my old mentor taught me that I’ve been passing down to the professionals.”


Wynne: “Show me how you throw naturally.”

Ricky: “Alright.”

With a flick of his wrist, Ricky threw the ball with the lightest touch. It sailed into Wynne’s waiting arms without much restriction.

Wynne: “Alright, that’s not too bad. Basic, but not bad.”


Wynne: “So, instead of using your wrist, throw your whole arm into it. You’ll get a stronger throw – like this!”


Ricky caught the ball with ease but it felt weighted in his hands. He grasped around it, feeling the stitching with his fingertips before he began to pull his arm back, winding it up, and releasing the ball with more force than he had done before.


Wynne: “Whoa!”


Wynne, the super star athlete, struggled to catch the ball. It fumbled in her hands but she managed to hold her grip.

Wynne, thinking: “I am an excellent teacher.”


With a quirky smile, Wynne pulled back her arm and threw the ball back. She’d done this nearly her whole career but it felt different this time.


She let out a laugh, feeling as free as a bird.

Something was different, she knew that much. It was all down to Ricky.


Wynne: “Ricky, I’ve had the time of my life with you this evening.”

Ricky: “The sentiment is reciprocated.”

Wynne: “Would you mind if we did this again, someday?”


Ricky: “I wouldn’t mind at all.”


The two of them sighed heavily, their hearts feeling lighter than air. An electric connection caught between them as they stared into each other’s’ eyes after sharing a tender kiss.


Late into the evening, Ricky said his goodbyes and began to walk slowly away from Wynne’s home. She watched after him, feeling different than she had all those years ago after watching her first love leave her behind.

A promise, a future had only just begun.


Later that week, after returning from Bronte’s birthday party, Wynne felt tired and dazed but yet full of life. As she entered her home, the trill sound of the phone ringing caught her attention and she made a heady beeline for the kitchen where she grabbed the phone with a breathless smile.

Wynne: “Hello?”


Ricky: “Wynne?”

Wynne: “Ricky!?”

Wynne then cleared her throat - trying to mask the fact her voice had raised several octaves.


Ricky: “Hey, yeah, it’s me. Listen, I was wondering if you were up to going out for dinner tonight.”

Wynne: “Well, I just came back from my niece’s party…”

Ricky: “Oh, I see, another day then.”

Wynne: “I didn’t say no! Where do you want to meet?”

Ricky: “Londoste? I hear they do a mean filet mignon.

Wynne’s heart soared several feet in the air; finally she had found someone who felt she was worth the luxury of Londoste, the worthiness of forever.

Wynne: “It’s a date, see you there.”


With a free smile on her face, Wynne got back into her car and backed out the drive, heading towards the downtown area of Belladonna Cove, and towards Londoste.


Wynne: “It’s so nice to see you again.”

She raised her hand up gently and brushed her knuckles against Ricky’s cheek.


His fingers gently closed over her wrist and he moved into the touch with a look that screamed adoration.

Ricky: “The feeling’s mutual, Wynne.”


Waitress: “Good evening! Welcome to Londoste, I am your server today, my name is Jessica. Can I get you any starters?”

Ricky’s eyes skimmed over the menu. All of the prices seemed steep but it wasn’t like he went to a place like this often and Wynne was definitely worth the tear in his bank statement.


Wynne: “Filet mignon for the both of us, please.”


Jessica: “Certainly!”

She quickly jotted down the easy order and hurried away to the kitchen. Ricky tossed an adoring glance over at his date.


Wynne: “So, I was thinking… I’d like to meet Charmain.”

Ricky: “Really?”

Wynne: “Well, let’s be honest here Ricky. This is going somewhere, right?”


Ricky didn’t have time to answer as the waitress hurried over with their order, a brisk smile on her face. Wynne stared Ricky down for a few minutes, but decided to drop the subject until after dinner.


However, Ricky had different ideas.

Ricky: “I’d like to think this is going to one place in particular.”

Wynne: “Is it the same place I’m thinking of?”


Ricky smirked, pursing his lips secretly.

Ricky: “I think so.”


Wynne couldn’t stop the smile spreading across her face.

Wynne: “So, let me know when the best day is to have you two over for dinner.”

Ricky smiled.

Ricky: “Charmain is nuts for pork chops… I can’t cook them to save my life but she loved them when Clarissa made them.”

Wynne: “I’ll remember that.”


Wynne: “I was thinking, as well, I’d like you to meet my sister and her wife.”


Ricky: “I’d be honoured.”

Wynne gave him a fluttery gaze up through her eyelashes and sneakily hovered her hand over the table before she gently skimmed across to Ricky.


Taking the hint, Ricky took her hand with his and caressed the back of her hand with his thumb.


His hand then crept over her wrist and over her forearm.

Ricky: “I haven’t felt like this in a long time.”

Wynne blushed.

Wynne: “I haven’t felt like this ever.”


Ricky: “Then, I’m happy to be your first.”


Wynne: “I don’t think I’ve said this yet but… I think I’m in love with you.”


Ricky grinned, in his heart he felt like chains were breaking loose, restrictions he’d placed to save himself after Clarissa had died. Wynne had been able to charm her way into his life, and knock down his walls.

Ricky: “I’m in love with you too, Wynne.”


Wynne, the chess enthusiast, decided that the proper way of ending the date would be to play a game of chess. Ricky looks thoroughly confused.


Wynne, thinking: “So… If I move my pawn here that should… Wait…”


Wynne, thinking: “Augh! I forgot how to play this game properly!”

Or rather, she’s letting him win and pretending to be confused.


Wynne: “Ricky, I just rolled a want to classic dance with you. What do you say?”

Ricky: “But there’s no music.”

Wynne: “Don’t worry about that.”











*snort*


Well, at least their second kiss went well in the end.


And then they giggle to themselves like teenagers. 


Ricky: “You must get a lot of muscle pain from your job. Let me give you a quick massage.”


Wynne: “Oh, that feels so goo-oo-ood…”


Wynne: “I can go to work tomorrow and not be as tense.”

Ricky: “I’m glad I could be assistance.”


However, as young as the couple was, the night began to wear on and Ricky began to feel guilty for leaving the babysitter with Charmain for so long. He gave Wynne a heady, passionate kiss before bidding her goodbye, promising her that he’d bring Charmain over later on in the week for the two to meet.


After her great second date with Ricky and now knowing completely that Ricky was the one she wanted to spend the rest of her life with, things came a lot easier for Wynne. Promotion after promotion felt into her lap and even the sun felt brighter on dull days.


However, her good moon quickly soured when she answered the phone midway through preparing dinner.

Wynne: “Ricky?”

Jace: “Um… Baby doll… It’s Jace.

Wynne: “Oh, hey, Jace.”


Jace: “Sorry, did I disappoint you?”

Wynne: “Not exactly… I just expected you to be someone else.”


Jace: “Someone else? What is that supposed to mean?”

Wynne took a deep breath. She hadn’t expected this part to be easy.


Wynne: “Well, Jace… I’m seeing someone else now. It’s… really serious. I’m asking him to move in today.”

Jace: “… I see.”

Wynne: “We can still be friends, though.”


Jace: “Um, you know what… I don’t think I’d want to be just friends with someone I’ve slept with twice. It’d be awkward. Have a great life with your new boyfriend. Slut.”

He hung up quickly before Wynne could get another word in.


Wynne: “Jerk.”


Later that night, Ricky and Charmain made their way up towards Wynne’s house.

Ricky: “Charmain, you must be on your best behaviour today for Wynne. Okay?”

Charmain: “Okay, Daddy.”


Snow began to fall as Wynne walked out of her house to meet them halfway. When her eyes landed on Ricky, she gave him a breathless smile. But then her eyes skimmed over to the young girl beside him and her heart began to pick up pace and anxiety knotted in her stomach.

Charmain: “It’s nice to meet you, Miss Booker.”

Wynne: “It’s lovely to finally meet you too, Charmain. You can call me, Wynne, sweetheart.”


Ricky: “So, is there anything else that’s special about this dinner.”

Wynne: “Actually, there is… I wanted to meet your daughter so I could ask if the two of you would like to move in with me.”

Ricky: “You’re serious?”

Wynne: “Very.”

Ricky didn’t say a single word. With tears in his eyes, he pulled Wynne in for a hug and held her tightly. It seemed with all the things that had gone wrong in the world; everything was starting to look up for him.


Charmain, a little annoyed by the sudden transition, stormed up to the attic where Wynne had recently installed a new bedroom for Charmain and any other future kids.


Charmain appreciated the spaciousness of the bedroom, and the sparkly new toys, but everything sat in her tummy funny. She didn’t want a new mommy, but at the same time, she understood that her father was lonely and that Wynne was the woman of his dreams.


Wynne: “Ah, it’s nice to have a hot bath and get to relax after a long day at work.”

Ricky: “That reminds me… Did you ever get the pork chops cooked?”

Wynne froze for a second.

Wynne: “Oh, damn.”

Ricky laughed.

Ricky: “Never mind, maybe next time.”


Wynne: “Yes, definitely tomorrow.”

She smiled brightly at her boyfriend.

Ricky: “So, Charmain’s occupied… What do you want to do?”


Wynne: “Oh… I don’t know… Let’s have a little fun.”


Ricky: “Fun sounds… nice.”


Wynne wasn’t sure if it was because she was absolutely certain she’d found the one, but everything about this felt so different, so surreal. She fell into a succumbed pleasure as Ricky showed her what true love actually felt like.


After, they held hands and smiled at each other with short, sharp pants.


Before they turned over and decided to call it a night.

Ricky figured Charmain was old enough to care for herself and Wynne knew there were leftovers in the fridge if she got hungry.


Late into the night, after spending most of the night reading her favourite book, Charmain decided to tiptoe down into the kitchen and helped herself to a plate of spaghetti.

Surrounded in well-lit silence, Charmain began to wonder about life with her mother before death had cruelly whipped her away.


She had known how happy her parents were when they discovered they were expecting their first child, her.

Her daddy worked earlier shifts to make sure he was home enough to care for his waddling wife.


Daddy had told her time and time again how happy they’d been the day she was born, dubbed the beautiful name of Charmain because her mommy had decided it just fit perfectly.


Being an only child, so far, Charmain had been spoiled rotten by both parents.

Tears began to fill her eyes, and she remembered the day her mother had died.


And how she had wished for things to just go back to normal.

She guessed, now that everything had changed, things would never go back to the original normal but… as long as her daddy was happy… that was all that mattered.

To be Continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment