Tuesday 8 October 2019

The Literal Booker Legacy - The Spares: Wynne | Part 3: New Beginnings


Welcome back to the third and final part of Wynne’s side story. If you’ve read all the previous parts and are waiting for the conclusion then here you go! If you have read the side story before when it was part of the original legacy but decided to re-read for whatever reason you may have, thank you for taking your time out to read this.

Honestly, that goes both ways: Thanks to everyone who read this side story. I really hope you enjoyed this – it definitely stretched my creative writing skills as well as tested my storytelling through sim photography.



Since Ricky had moved in, a culmination of good things have happened to her family. Austen gave birth to twin boys, the first Booker boys to join the legacy and they were very healthy natural twins. Their arrival at the end of winter signified the new dawn of spring and Wynne decided to give her hibernating garden some TLC.

Somehow, as she allowed herself to get lost in the activity of trimming her wildflower bushes, Wynne got the strange sense that this particular day would bring a new beginning for her.


Charmain had been recluse, keeping to herself. The pain of losing her mother and hastiness (at least, in her opinion) of her father moving in with his new girlfriend had brought everything round to a new thought. She and Ricky had been living with Wynne for a few weeks now and she began to realise her father had a certain air of giddiness around him.

He’d been out shopping with Wynne’s sister-in-law, Cherry, and had brought home an expensive diamond ring.


To keep her mind off what the ring entailed, she turned to her one-true love: sports.

The unease in her tummy didn’t settle as she heard her babysitter, her dad’s friend from work, Vivian, enter through the front door with a shudder and an overdramatic sigh from the cold.



Vivian took a seat beside Charmain and offered the girl a polite smile. Charmain just gave her the half-hearted attempt she gave everyone else around her in return.

The door to the living room opened and her father walked in with a big, beaming smile on his face.

Ricky: “We’ll see you later, baby girl. Be good for Vivian, won’t you?”

Charmain: “Yes, Daddy.”


Upstairs, butterflies began to roam free in Wynne’s stomach. She’d never felt so giddy in her life. Of all the dates she’d been on in her lifetime, this one was the one that made her feel the dizziest, the most anxious, and excited.

Ricky: “Wynne! The taxi’s here!”

Wynne gave herself one last look over before bounding down the stairs towards her waiting boyfriend.


They met up with Cherry, who had been left alone, at the restaurant.

Cherry: “Austen sends her apologies but she’s exhausted after delivering the twins yesterday.”

Wynne: “Oh, don’t worry about it. I’d be exhausted too in her shoes.”


Wynne: “Are you planning to have anymore then?”

Cherry: “Well, I’d really like to but I don’t want to put Austen through that again. She said that three was enough, especially since we only planned to have two like your mothers did.”

Ricky: “I’m sure the twins were a welcomed surprise, though.”

Cherry: “Yeah, to everyone except Austen.”


Cherry: “I’d like to have another girl but we can’t really account for the gender. We all throught Hardy and Lawrence were going to be girls considering the track record…”

Wynne: “I knew you would have a boy. I could feel it. It was long overdue.”

Hear, hear, Wynne.


Cherry: “How many kids are you two planning?”

Wynne: “Oh, we’re not that far-“

Ricky: “I’d like to have two more, at least.”


Wynne became silent and Cherry hid her smirk behind her glass. She toyed with the thought that perhaps she shouldn’t have said anything.

Ricky: “But, as long as Wynne’s happy, I don’t mind.”


Their meals arrived relatively quickly and the three dug in.


Ricky: “I think twins would be a little too much though.”

Cherry: “I’ll tell you how bad they are when they become toddlers. Right now, they’re a dream.”


Wynne: “I don’t think twins would be too bad. It’s not like we’d be looking after them ourselves. Charmain will be a teenager soon.”

Ricky: “Charmain will be too busy prepping for college to care for any twin siblings she may or may not have.”

Cherry, thinking: “I really shouldn’t have said anything…”


Ricky: “Anyway, never mind the children. Tonight is about us. I propose we have a toast.”

Wynne: “To new beginnings?”

Ricky: “That sounds perfect.”


Cherry refrained from having any champagne, considering she would be driving home after the meal, and that she would need to be on her toes to tackle a rambunctious toddler and two hungry baby boys.


Towards the end of the meal, the candles began to dim, melting to their wick’s end; Ricky turned to Wynne and smiled endearingly.

Ricky: “Wynne, I have a question to ask you.”


Wynne: “Me?”

Ricky: “Yes, you. Wynne Booker, before the day you came into my life, all I had known was dependence and loneliness. Meeting you brought new opportunities and a new way of love and living into my life. I love you more than words can say, Wynne. Will you marry me?”


Wynne: “Is this really happening?!”


Wynne opened the box.

Cherry: “Oh my God!”

The two women gasped upon seeing the size of the diamond.


Wynne took it out and admired the ring in the dimming candlelight.

Wynne: “Yes, Ricky! A thousand times yes!”


The ring slipped on perfectly and Wynne felt a million and one stars explode in her mind. All she had dreamt of since Austen had gotten engaged to Cherry was to meet someone who would love her for who she was and would want to stay with her forever.

And with luck, she had found it.


Ricky and Wynne took each other’s hands and smiled at each other, tears brimming in their eyes.

Tragedy and inconvenience had led them down unknown paths, but at the end they had found each other, and perhaps they figured they were better off like that.


After the meal, Wynne thanked Cherry and said her goodbyes.

Cherry: “I’ll be sure to tell Austen the good news.”

Wynne: “Tell her to get plenty of rest and I’ll see her later on.”


The newly engaged couple raced home and quickly paid off Vivian for her services before ordering Charmain to get to bed. The clock had struck midnight before they were finally alone in the confines of Wynne’s, now shared with her fiancé Ricky, bedroom.

Wynne pushed her fiancé down onto the bed and kissed him with everything she had.

They didn’t leave until the sun came up the next morning.


The next week:

Good morning, Wynne. Today’s your wedding day! How are you feeling!?

Wynne: “Is it highly possible that I dreamt this entire thing?”

Not a chance. This is real.

Wynne: “Then ecstatic and absolutely nauseous at the same time.”


Proud mothers, Yvonne and Andrea crowded through the door early in the morning. Andrea, her mother-in-law senses tingling as Ricky entered through the kitchen door to talk to Wynne, turned around immediately.

Ricky: “Ah, you must be Mrs Booker.”

Andrea: “I’m one of them, yes.”

Ricky: “It’s really nice to finally meet you.”


Andrea: “The feeling is mutual, Ricky. Did I hear you had a little girl too?”

Ricky: “Oh, Charmain? Yes, she’s part of the party.”

Andrea: “Delightful! Are you a family sim then by chance?”

Ricky: “I am…”

Andrea: “Yvonne! Did you hear this? Ricky’s a family sim! We’re going to have more grandbabies!”

Wynne, thinking: “Why did I choose them over Austen and Cherry…”

You know they’d be just as embarrassing.


Yvonne: “A family sim in the family, eh? What a surprise. Gray usually hates them.”

Not true!

Ricky: “Well, she hasn’t given me the best time…”

Hey! Everything I did was for plot… besides, you’re getting married today to Wynne Booker!


Yvonne: “That’s Gray for you… Always trying to make everyone’s lives so much harder.”

UH EXCUSE ME!? WHO LOST THEIR JOB? WHO’S DAUGHTER HAD TWIN BOYS?!

Yvonne: “Ahahahaha!”

Why are you ignoring me? *sniff*


Here is the pitiful set-up for Wynne’s wedding.

I’m showing you this so you can realise in the next picture how much of a dumbass I was for putting seats down…


Here we go folks!




















And so Wynne sheds her Booker moniker and takes on the Oxley name.

Congratulations Mr and Mrs Oxley.


Wynne decided to serve up the lobster thermidor before cutting the cake. Why so grim, Wynne? You just got married! You’re Mrs Wynne Oxley now!

Wynne: “Why am I the one serving food on my wedding day?”


However, despite Wynne’s efforts to get her mothers and Charmain to indulge in her hard work, everyone crowded around the wedding cake.

Except Ricky, who decided to sleep in the middle of his wedding party.

Ricky… You’re killing me, man.


Ricky is the complete opposite of Austen, and forks the cake into her mouth with a gentle smile on his face.


Wynne: “It’s yummy!”

Andrea: “Can you believe both of our little girls are married now?”

Yvonne: “I can’t quite believe it yet.”


I like this photo. They’re nearly reaching the end of their lives, but Andrea and Yvonne have never stopped looking so in love with one another. Contrasting with Wynne and Ricky, who are just beginning theirs together, I have high hopes that Wynne and Ricky will be together forever.


Once the party was over, Ricky and Wynne retired to bed, despite it being mid-afternoon.

Ricky: “Your mothers are interesting.”

Wynne: “A pain, you mean.”

Ricky: “Interesting.”


Wynne: “So… we’re married now.”

Ricky: “We are, my love.”


Ricky: “You do know what married couples do to finalise a marriage?”

An excited smile spread across Wynne’s face.

Wynne: “Hmm, I might have an idea…”


Happy wedding!


That following evening, Wynne decided to bond with her new step-daughter, Charmain by tossing a football around as snow began to fall from the sky.


They’re both interested in sports and Wynne is a Hall of Famer, so Charmain is no doubt picking up a lot of tips and tricks.


WYNNE!

You’re a grown adult!

That shtick was okay when you were playing with your sister, but this is your kid!


Charmain: “Hey!”


Wynne: “Sorry… It’s a habit, I guess.”


Charmain: “You’re mean, Wynne.”

Wynne: “Let me make it up to you. It’s cold out here, how about we go inside and read a book together…”


And that’s exactly what they did.


Wynne had thought it’d be easy to bond with Charmain as she was young and into sports, but there was a barrier hanging between them.

A barrier in the shape of Clarissa.


However, things were about to become more complicated as Wynne and Ricky were soon to begin their own little family.


Wynne: “So, I think I’m pregnant.”

Ricky: “You’re serious? You’re not kidding?”

Wynne: “I’m so very serious. I think I’m pregnant!”

Ricky was rendered speechless, tears welling in his eyes as he tried to swallow the remains of his hamburger despite the lump stuck in his throat.


An hour later, nature confirmed Wynne’s suspicious.

Wynne: “I am pregnant!”

Why do the Booker women have the same maternity outfit…


Ricky, unsurprisingly, was over the moon.


I love these two so much. I can’t wait to see what their baby’s going to look like.


Despite the impending arrival of his future child with his new wife, Ricky was still completely doted to his daughter, Charmain.

On the morning of her teen birthday, Ricky woke up early and gave her a sweet kiss before his carpool was due. Knowing that he wouldn’t have much time left with her as a child, he felt tears well in his eyes.

Ricky, thinking: “I hope you’re watching Clarissa. Our baby’s going to become a young woman.”


Charmain: “Daddy! You’re home in time for my birthday!”

Ricky: “I wouldn’t miss this for the world, baby girl.”


As she stood before the cake, Charmain contemplated all that life had taken away from and brought to her.

She had lost her mother on the night of her previous birthday, but before she embarked into the next life stage she had gained a new family. One that loved her as if she was a part of her own.


Cherry had popped around to talk to Wynne and caught a glimpse of Charmain breaching womanhood.


Ricky: “Make a wish, Charmain!”








Charmain: “I wish for a big family.”

And thus she rolled Family with a LTW of marrying off 6 kids. She likes glasses and red hair, and is turned off by stinky sims. She’s also a Virgo, very neat, shy, active, playful, but mean.


A make-over to celebrate the fresh start.

And also to hide the fact that the hairstyle she grew up in was glitching into her skull…


As Charmain settled into bed, exhausted from the event of the day, Ricky and Wynne decided to spend the evening watching the stars.

Wynne: “Our son will be here soon.”

Ricky: “A son? What makes you so sure it’s a boy?”

Wynne: “Our family has been a bit riddled with girls lately… a few boys would mix it up. I’m just guessing, though.”


Wynne: “Look, see, Orion is shining down on us.”

Ricky: “What does that have to do with the gender of our baby?”


Wynne, laughing: “I don’t know, I just like staring at the stars with you.”

Ricky: “Maybe it’s time to go to bed, you sound delirious.”

Wynne: “Actually, some sleep sounds a little better.”


Early the next morning, Wynne woke up to feel a crippling pain rip across her stomach. She clutched at her tummy as she hurried out of bed, croaking her husband’s name.


Wynne: “It’s a boy! Orion was right!”

Ricky yawned, he couldn’t find it in him to argue with his wife this early in the morning, especially seeing as she had just given birth to their first son.


Wynne: “You’ll sleep here tonight, little Howl.”

Okay, so it’s revelation time!

I’ve decided that the spare kids shall be named after characters from the authors’ books. So, Wynne is named after Diana Wynne Jones and her most famous character is Howl from Howl’s Moving Castle.

Charmain is also taken from the sequel, House of Many Ways.

She was always destined to be a part of this family.


However, Howl’s babyhood wasn’t meant to last long.

Wynne: “It’s your birthday today, little Howl. I know you’ll be a handsome little boy.”


Ricky: “I invited your mothers.”

Wynne: “It’s go time then, I guess. I’ll go get Howl.”


Andrea: “WYNNE!”

Wynne: “Or maybe not…”

Andrea: “Your baby’s first birthday! I’m so excited to meet him!”

Yvonne: “Andi, let her go so she can fetch Howl.”


Charmain’s excited to see her baby brother grow up.

Ricky’s just high on baby smell.

Ricky: “Yes, that’s my BOY!”

He’s really giddy about having a boy, can you tell?


Although, Howl’s grandmas will never be shown up.





Oh my goodness! He inherited Yvonne/Wynne’s nose! This is the best news I’ve received all day!

Howl is an Aries, very neat, very outgoing, active, serious and mean.


Charmain: “Why have I been roped in to look after Howl?”

The problem with being an older sister. You can talk to your cousin Bronte about that.


Oh, it looks like there might be another Oxley running around very soon!


Wynne still finds time to nurture her garden even with a top-level career and a small child to care for.


Wynne: “Who is this person and why is she holding my son?”

This is Elizabeth; Charmain brought her home from school.

Wynne: “Why is she holding my son?”


Seeing as Wynne hadn’t seen Lyndsay in so long, she decided to invite her best friend over for supper.


Ricky: “Lyndsay, I never did remember to thank you for introducing me to Wynne.”

Lyndsay: “It’s all my pleasure! I’m glad you two hit it off so well, you belong together.”

Charmain: “Hi, Daddy!”


Unfortunately, Lyndsay isn’t their only guest as Ricky decided to bring a friend home from work.


Wynne: “I’m sorry we didn’t get to have any alone time today. I’ll have to take you out to dinner sometime to make up for it.”

Lyndsay: “Hey, don’t worry about it – I got to see my best friend and have a free bowl of your delicious chilli!”


Lyndsay: “But, I won’t turn down a dinner invitation.”


Wynne: “It’ll have to be a little later on, I just discovered I’m pregnant again!”


Lyndsay: “That’s so wonderful! I can’t believe you’re a mother now!”


Wynne: “Keep it a secret, Ricky will find out later.”

Lyndsay: “My lips are sealed.”


Well, it won’t be a secret for much longer.


Charmain really loves her younger brother.








Aah, he’s so cute!


Such a sweetie!


I decided that it was cruel to not give back to Charmain after the suffering I’ve put her through since childhood.

So, I arranged a blind date for her!


Charmain: “He better be worth $5,000.”


And so Pong hits the ground!


They say hello and goodbye very quickly, mainly because I’m a terrible simmer and I pressed ‘end date’ instead of play.

… Sorry, Charmain. Let’s find you someone else.


No! NOT YOU.


Despite my disposition to Gavin, I decide to let Charmain have her fun with him. It’s not like he’ll be back again…


She’s so shy! I love her!





Charmain: “I think it’s really admirable that you’re raising your siblings after your parents died.”

Gavin: “Aww, shucks. Thank you.”


And to show her appreciation, Charmain decides to bust a move.


Oh, hell yes, I’ve found my new favourite interaction.


She dropped it low!


Gavin: “Right on!”


They decide to do a different type of dance inside the house before Gavin has to say goodbye.


Aaand that’s her first kiss…

God, I’m mad, I didn’t get to use the cute first kiss interaction.

Go away now Gavin, and don’t come back.


I decided to give Charmain a makeover because I wasn’t feeling her previous outfit or hair.

I kinda love how teens react to their parents being romantic, it’s so realistic.

Charmain: “Oh, c’mon. In the living room!?”


Charmain: “You two are NASTY.”


So, Charmain decided to escape that horrific scene and sought solace in her attic bedroom, where she taught Howl her favourite nursery rhyme.

Charmain: “My mom sang this to me when I was a baby.”


Charmain: “Now, you try.”


Howl: “…”

Charmain: “Okay… we’ll keep trying.”


Looks like daddy is excited to meet his new baby!


Ricky: “Hello little Oxley, you’re going to be joining a big, loving family.”

Wynne: “Big? I don’t think our family is anything compared to Austen’s.”


Wynne: “This is the last one.”

Ricky: “Aah, okay.”


Wynne: “So, I heard you’re thinking about college. Academie Le Tour is one of the best in the area.”

Charmain: “Aah, Wynne, I appreciate the help but… I’ve already applied to La Fiesta Tech and I’ve been accepted.”


Wynne: “Ah, I see.”

Charmain: “Yeah.”

Yeesh, it’s so awkward here.


Of course, even with the excitement of a new baby on the way, Ricky can’t forget about his son.


Charmain, you have your own mirror.

Charmain: “Yeah, but it’s not as big as this one.”

Mmm, I guess I can see your point.


Wynne has a day off today!

Wynne: “I’m going to teach little Howl how to walk.”


He really is quite adorable.


Help! I can’t stop taking photos of him.


Eeee!!


Welcome home, Captain Hero. Why so glum?

Ricky: “I just have a bad feeling something’s going to happen.”


Wynne: “Don’t fill up on too many snacks, I’m making dinner.”


Ricky: “SEE I TOLD YOU!”

Huh, Ricky’s a clairvoyant.

Not to worry, the issue was resolved by the fire department.


Charmain brought home a friend from work! Blair!

Blair: “Oh, God, did I walk into a legacy house?”

Nope!

Blair: “Oh thank God.”

Hey!


Charmain: “You know, you’re really cute!”

Blair: “Haha, you’re cute yourself!”


Things quickly progressed inside the house!

However, Charmain you have something else to get to right now, so step away from the nice boy’s lips!

Charmain: “Ugh.”


Yup! Little Howl is becoming a big boy today!

Blair: “Wow, her parents must’ve had her young.”

Son, just don’t even go there.


Captain Hero Dad is here to see his son grow!


Not celebrating, Ricky?

Ricky: “I cannot move in this outfit.”

… But you fight bad guys in it?

Ricky: “Let me tell you something about the police-“

No need.


Howl: “Howl touch!”

Charmain: “No-no, little man!”


Charmain: “Let big sis blow them out!”


Howl: “Wobbly!”


Howl: “Aw sweet! Hands!”


Howl: “Yes, I’m cute!”

You are! I’m so surprised, but honestly, Wynne and Ricky could only make cute children.


Charmain: “Now my responsibilities are out of the way – do you want to be mine?”

Blair: “I never thought you’d ask.”


Aww, how cute!


And then Blair has to say goodbye immediately afterwards.

Not so cute.


Charmain, writing: “Dear Diary, today I gained a boyfriend and in a few days I will be off to college and away from this place I’ve been forced to call home. My step-mom is due to give birth any time now and I want to be away before I’m forced to babysit another anno-“

Wynne: “THE BABY’S COMING!”

Charmain: “God, damn it.


Wynne: “YOW! This is the last one!”


It’s a girl!

I named her Sophie, obviously.


She’s pretty much identical to Howl…

This does not make me hopeful.


I just love Wynne as a mother, I don’t know why… it warms my heart.


Wynne: “Someone left a love note for me!”

I… think that’s for Charmain.


Just like Howl, Sophie’s babyhood does not last long.

Sophie has grown and is a carbon copy of Howl, yay. Same personality and looks.


Howl: “There’s a llama in the house.”

Charmain: “It’s me.”


Charmain: “And I won’t be here for much longer!”

Off to college?


Charmain: “Oh, yeah.”


Wynne is too busy distracted by Sophie to care that her step-daughter has gone to college.


What are you doing now, Wynne?

Wynne: “Studying.”

What about Sophie?

Wynne: “Ricky’s taking care of her.”


He’s playing peek-a-boo with her.








Sophie: “Daddy funny!”


Wynne: “There, I’ve learnt fire safety now.”

Oh, good, now we’re prepared for when you burn the house down again!


Super Dad is off to work!


And Wynne spends Sophie’s last day of toddlerhood reading to her.


Let’s see how Howl’s face translates onto a female child sim.


Exactly the same.


Exactly the same! Damn it, Wynne!


And a little catch up on Charmain – she moved into a small apartment with her boyfriend, Blair.


Charmain: “Ahh, no parents or half-siblings to bother me. Just me and Blair.”

Enjoy the solitude whilst it lasts, Charmain.


Whilst Charmain lives up her freedom at college, Wynne decides to help her children’s future education.

Wynne: “I’ve decided to invite the headmaster around to see if Howl and Sophie can get into private school.”

Where’s the lobster thermidor?

Wynne: “It’s in the fridge. I’m making hamburgers for the kids.”


Howl: “No, I’m telling you when you turn the TV off the characters pause until you turn it back on.”

Sophie: “I don’t think so…”

Howl: “Mama!”

Wynne, distractedly: “Yeah, sure, Howl…”

Howl: “See!”


When Ricky returned home from work he rolled the want to talk to Charmain.

Ricky: “Well, I’m sure the cow mascots didn’t mean it, sweetie!”

Sounds like she’s having fun at uni.


Well hello Vince Gothiers.


Wynne: “Would you like a tour of our humble abode?”

Vince: “Sounds delightful!”


Wynne shows her around the bottom floor and with each room, Vince grows more impressed.

Vince: “This is a delightful study and game room!”

Wynne: “It’s just a living room…”


To grab the final points, Wynne shows him her bedroom and then decides to call the headmaster for dinner.


Vince: “This lobster thermidor is delightful!”

I think that’s all he can say…


Vince: “After this delightful visit I have decided your children are the perfect match for our illustrious school. Send them in uniform tomorrow morning at 8 o’clock. Thank you very much, Mr Oxley.”

Ricky: “You’re… welcome?”

No sure who that is, are you?

Ricky: “Not really but I have a feeling it’s related to Wynne.”

And you would be right!


Atwood must be lonely without her older siblings in the house to annoy her. She keeps calling Howl.*

Howl: “Well yeah, I don’t really think witches actually exist At- Wait, you’ve seen one?”

Well… We’ll leave that conversation there, I think!

*At the time of this playthrough, Atwood was still a teen and living at home. She and Howl became close friends.


And skip forward a few days to Howl’s birthday!


Wynne is really excited to see her first born become a teenager.


Look at that smile!

Wynne: “No more dependency.”

You still have Sophie.

Wynne: “Darn.”


Let’s get you a better outfit, Howl.

Howl rolled Popularity. Not that it’s super important.

--

And that’s it for this chapter! So much has happened!

Don’t worry, we will return to the Oxley’s in the next spare update after generation 2’s departure from college!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment